Update by Canada (IRCC)
In response to the impacts of the pandemic, Canada is launching a replacement program allowing certain recent international students to use for an additional open working permit. The program is only available from January 27 to July 27, 2021.
Many international students prefer to stay in Canada permanently after they complete their Canadian studies. To immigrate permanently, many international graduates apply for Post-Graduation working papers (PGWP), enabling them to realize the Canadian work experience needed to qualify for a permanent residence program. The pandemic has disrupted the utilization of many of those international students, jeopardizing their ability to use for permanent residence.
The new launching temporary immigration policy will allow certain recent international students to use for additional open working papers to supplement their expired, or soon-to-expire, PGWP. This additional open work permits program is going to be valid for 18 months, enabling these students to stay in Canada and work towards gaining the Canadian work experience necessary to qualify for permanent resident status.
Estimation of Canada (IRCC) that as many as 52,000 graduates with expired or expiring PGWPs may benefit from this public policy. the govt announced this change on January 8, 2021, as a “new policy to assist former international students to sleep in, add and continue contributing to Canada.” More details are expected near the start date of January 27, 2021.
Who is eligible for the additional open work permit for international students?
Eligible for the additional open work available under this new temporary policy, an applicant must have:
- Those who have a PGWP that expired on or after January 30, 2020, or a PGWP that expires in 4 months or less from the date they apply
- Still, be in Canada
- Those who have a valid temporary status, or be applying to restore their status
- Should apply between January 27 and July 27, 2021.
- International students from a Canadian bachelor’s degree program in May 2017, and were issued a three-year PGWP (which is expiring in May 2020) could be eligible, as long as they are still living in Canada and have temporary status (or are applying to restore their status).
- As well as those who graduated from a 1-year diploma program in December 2020, and were issued an 8 months PGWP (which is expiring in August 2021) they could be eligible, as long as they apply within 4 months of the expiry date of their PGWP. They also need to be still living in Canada and have temporary status (or be applying to restore their status).
In both cases, the applicant would be eligible for an additional 18-month open work permit.
How do apply for the additional open work permit for international students?
Details on how to apply for the additional open work permit have not yet been released. Canada (IRCC) has stated that details will be published on the program launch date is January-27-2021.