If you have got a well-developed critical sense and don’t accept believing any piece of data that’s being thrown at you, a degree in Media Studies may be the proper degree for you. You’ll find out how to uncover and share the reality, understand What media studies is, how media organizations work and find a different segment where you’ll be able to make a positive impact.
Before diving in, here are some universities we recommend for Media Studies:
· The New School, the US
· University of Hull, the UK
· ESCP graduate school, France
· Arcada University of Applied Sciences, Finland
· University of Nicosia, Cyprus
In this article, let us look at:
- Media Studies degrees: what to expect?
- What am I able to do with a Media Studies degree?
- Media jobs outlook
- Interesting facts
- Admission requirements
- Best Universities
- Tuition fees
- Online degree
1. Media Studies degrees: what to expect?
Media Studies degrees analyze the content, history, and impact of assorted media (especially mass-media) on our society. Media is split in two categories:
· Contemporary media: movies, video games, social media, etc.
· Traditional or legacy media: television, radio, medium, etc.
During media courses, students analyze media institutions and channels. They discover differences between the past and present and explore how the digital age has changed the way media organizations function. Future Media graduates and the media studies syllabus may also approach degree subjects like Smartphone culture, online advertising, and the way they’ve changed our online and offline communication.
There are 4 key concepts in Media Studies :
· Media language – different ways to form meaning or send a message through text, image, audio, etc.
· Representation – how different media institutions interpret and describe a happening or situation
· Audience – understanding who consumes media, why, and the way to make content that appeals to a audience
· Institution – the organizations that make media and the way their funding and beliefs impact their work
Media Studies may be a more general degree, overlapping with disciplines like Anthropology, Psychology, Cultural Studies, and social science. If you would like to narrow your focus, you’ll be able to study a Media sub-discipline in the media studies courses:
· Social Media
· Publishing & Editing
· Film & Media Studies
3. What am I able to do with a Media Studies degree?
Media Studies graduates can find media studies jobs and opportunities in Marketing, Broadcasting, Photography, and other areas. While the list is long, here are a number of the foremost popular mass media and professional opportunities and also the average annual salaries within the u. s., in step with Glassdoor:
· Digital Marketing Specialist – 60,000 USD. add the marketing industry and help companies grow through brand awareness and also the promotion of products and services.
· Media Planner – 54,000 USD. Analyse data and conduct research to form action plans and techniques for advertising campaigns.
· Public Relations (PR) Specialist – 58,000 USD. Create and maintain a favorable image for your client (individual person or organization), especially during a crisis.
· Social Media Manager – 55,000 USD. Manage a company’s marketing and advertising on social media through planning and strategy creation, SEO, and reputation management.
· Web Content Manager – 64,000 USD. make sure the content of an internet site (e.g. articles, images, videos, reviews) contains a clear structure and meets quality standards and also the users’ needs.
4. Media jobs outlook
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Media & Communication jobs are expected to grow 4% by 2028 within the u. s. alone. This is often not surprising the least bit. With the rise in fake media and therefore the trustworthiness of mainstream media being questioned, a growing number of individuals want to search out the reality for them and share it with the globe.
5. Interesting facts
You might have heard about the concentration of media ownership.
To cut a protracted story short, it’s the method through which a little number of people/companies buys smaller organizations and takes charge of most mass media. You can find most of the mass media and professional opportunities are:
· General Electric (GE)
· Time Warner
6. Admission requirements
We’ve listed below a number of the foremost common documents you should submit during the application process. Some universities and colleges would require more, others less. Not all universities ask students to have work experience for a postgraduate degree in Media Studies and phd in media studies.
· Minimum English language test scores: IELTS 6.0 or TOEFL 70
· Academic transcripts
· Minimum GPA
· Personal statement
· Minimum English language test scores: IELTS 6.5 or TOEFL 85
· Bachelor’s degree in Media, Communication, or a related field
· Minimum GPA (usually 3.0)
· Letters of advice
· Work experience (1-3 years)
· Writing sample
7. Best Universities
According to rankings from Top Universities and Times teaching (THE), these are the best universities for media studies and colleges for college students inquisitive about a Media Studies degree:
QS Rankings by Top Universities
· University of Amsterdam, within the Netherlands
· University of Southern California, in the US
· London School of Economics and government, in the UK
· University of Zurich, in Switzerland
· LMU Munich, in Germany
World University Rankings by THE
· Stanford University, in the US
· Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), in the US
· University College London, in the UK
· National University of Singapore, in Singapore
· Peking University, in China
8. Tuition fees
The highest tuition fees are in North America (the US, Canada) and Australia. While you’ll find some Media Studies degrees that cost under 10,000 EUR/ year, the common tuition costs are around 20,000 EUR/year. Some Master’s programs demand the maximum amount as 48,000 EUR/year.
You can find affordable (under 3,000 EUR/year) or maybe free Media Studies in European countries, such as:
· The Netherlands
Keep in mind that in most countries free Media programmes are only available to EU/EEA students. To avoid confusion, always check if tuition fees apply to students from your country of origin.
9. Online degree
We sleep in the digital age, so it’s no surprise that you simply have the choice to check a Bachelor’s or Master’s in Media Studies online. Here’s why you would possibly want to try to to it:
Firstly, flexibility. Studying online means you’ll be able to create your own schedule. It doesn’t matter if you’re an early bird or an evening owl. You’ll study and work on assignments whenever you’re best. Online classes are always available, and you’ll watch them multiple times if needed.
Secondly, a web Media Studies course also means you’ll keep your job and use the web classes to upgrade your skills and find that promotion. It doesn’t matter what priorities you’ve got besides studying. Online degrees allow you to search out a balance between personal and career goals.
If you’re curious about a web Media Studies degree and the center for media studies most are offered by universities from:
Online Bachelor’s degrees
· The USA
Online Master’s degrees
· The USA
· The UK
The world needs Media specialists with solid ethical principles and a deep desire to seek out the reality and share it because it is, without distorting it for private or corporate gains. So, what are you waiting for?