The Masters in Data Science in Germany is available at numerous schools and may be studied for between 1-2 years. Students hoping to graduate in this field must have a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as mathematics, physics, statistics, computer science, or economics. Test results, either GRE or GMAT, will allow the candidate to pass through the entrance exam.
In this article, let us look at:
- Why consider Germany for MS?
- Top Universities
- Admission & Eligibility
- Cost of Study
- Scholarships for International Students in Germany
- Masters in Data Science in Germany: Scope
1. Why consider Germany for MS?
Germany is one of the best places to learn English in the world. The work driven environment is very beneficial to anyone thinking about working or going to college. As a popular place to study, Germany offers many benefits . Few of these benefits are discussed below.
- Some of the most prestigious institutions in the world are located in Germany. It is home to 6/100 top universities according to the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU).
- According to US News & World Report, the research intensive curriculum ranks the German education system in top third position, just after the United States and the United kingdom.
- About 300 universities are state funded, and this means that tuition fees don’t apply to them.
- As Germany is the fourth largest economy, so the job opportunities are plenty.
- State funded loans like BAföG allows students to repay 5 years post graduation with zero interest charges.
- It is the third best country to live in in the world . It is also very good for studying because of its multicultural environment which suits Indian students, making it an ideal choice for anyone who wants to settle here after their studies.
2. Top Universities
|Name of institution||Unique features||Course Fee/year (Euro)||Program Offered & Duration|
|Technical University of Munich||Oldest and biggest tech university in germanyWorld university ranking is #44Prominent TU9 member||No tuition||MSc Data Engineering & Analytics|
|Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich||2nd largest student population in GermanyRanks #32 (World University Ranking)Excellent research facility||No tuition||Masters of Data Science|
|University Of Magdeburg||Increased ranking by 200 in just a yearRated 4.5/5 in student diversity12 students for each staff||250||Master of Data and Knowledge Engineering|
|University of Mannheim||Ranks #157 (World University Ranking)Provides financial assistance to international students||3000||Masters of Data Science|
|Technical University Of Dortmund||Ranks #39 (Young University Ranking)Highly innovative academically||No tuition||MSc. Data Science|
|Free University of Berlin||Ranks #157 (World University Ranking)MS program has 27% international students||607||Masters of Data Science|
|RWTH Aachen||Ranks #24 in engineering known for specialization in research field partners with numerous industrial corporation, making the educton real world application based||15,00||MSc. Data Science|
3. Admission & Eligibility
|College||Eligibility||Admission procedure||Accepted exams||Deadline|
|Technical University Of Munich||Bachelors in stats/informatics/ related discipline||Entrance assessment for master’s program||GRE, GATE, TOEFL (IBT): 88IELTS: 6.5||1 Nov – 31 Dec (summer)1 April – 31 May (winter)|
|Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich||Bachelor’s degree in relevant field.||Academic excellence, official test scores.||GRE, IELTS: 6.5TOEFL||Varies with program|
|University Of Magdeburg||Bachelor in Computer Science or related field.||66-80%||TOEFL,IELTS,CAE||June 15 (winter)January 15 (summer)|
|University of Mannheim||Bachelor’s degree in relevant field.||UG with a minimum of 48 ECTS points in the field of mathematics, informatics, and statistics||IELTS: 6,TOEFL: 79CAE: level CGMAT: 500||May 31 (fall)November 15 (spring)|
|Technical University Of Dortmund||B.Sc. in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, or related fields||Merit based||IELTS:6.5GRE,GMAT||Varies with program|
|Free University of Berlin||Undergraduate Degree Certificate||Letter of recommendation||TOEFL: 80GRE, GMAT,IELTS: 5||April 15 – May 31December 1 – January 15|
|RWTH Aachen||Bachelors in STEM field||Work experience in preferred||TOEFL: 90;IELTS: 5.5||January 31|
International students planning to study abroad are required to submit various documents along with the applications. Some of these documents required for applying for masters in data science in Germany are briefed below:
- Transcript: Certificates/marksheets/academic records from previous institutions.
- Proof of language proficiency.
- Letter of recommendations
- Health insurance documents
- Some universities may ask you to submit additional documents. These can be SOP, CV, etc
4. Cost of Study
|Type of Expense||Cost (Euro)|
|German Visa Fees||75|
Tuition Fees for MS Data Science in Germany
The tuition fees in public universities of Germany is extremely low in comparison to the cost of studying Data science in countries like Canada, or USA. There are many universities that do not have any tuition fees. However, in such cases, universities may ask for a semester fees from international students. The semester fees usually ranges from 300-1000 Euros.
Cost of Living in Germany
|Type of Expenditure||Monthly Cost (Euro)||Cost estimate value in INR/ month|
|Learning resources like books||20||1700|
|Rent, electricity, and other utilities||323||27000|
5. Scholarships for International Students in Germany
Germany offers many scholarships for both graduate and undergraduate students by DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) . Apart from that there are other non government foundations. The low fees, and many scholarships make this college an excellent choice for students all over the world. Some of the best scholarships for international students are:
1. DAAD (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst) or the German Academic Exchange Service- Offered by the higher educational institutes in Germany, DAAD promoted international relations. It is awarded to candidates who have at least two years of work experience and have a bachelor’s degree. The program also has eight scholarships for under-graduate students.
2. Heinrich Boll Foundation Scholarships- Awarded to students who are studying in state or state recognised university. Students eligible for Heinrich Böll scholarship must show in values like human rights and justice, while having an outstanding academic record. Non EU students will be awarded 850 euro each month.
3. DeutschlandStipendium National Scholarship Programme- The scholarships are offered for international students. They receive about 300 euros per month from the Federal Government, individual sponsors, and business foundations. The award is given for two semesters, and after that the student needs to show that he or she is doing well in his or her classes.
4. Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung Scholarships in Germany for International Students- Master and postgraduate students who have completed their bachelor’s program with a keen interest in politics are eligible to apply for this scholarship which awards a total of 850 euro each month for 2 years.
5. RISE Germany – Research Internships in Science and Engineering- This scholarship is offered to science or engineering students who have completed their bachelor’s degree. They are awarded 778 euro each month.
6. Masters in Data Science in Germany: Scope
Tabulated below is the detail of jobs roles, average annual salaries and top recruiters for postgraduates of masters in data science in Germany:
|Job profile||Average salary range (PA)||Type of recruiting organisation|
|Statistician||INR 50,00,000||National governments, research institutes, consulting companies|
|Business intelligence analyst||INR 37,00,000||Tech, finance, reporting companies|
|Data analyst||INR 36,00,000||Telecommunication, finance, manufacture, construction or utility companies|
|Big data engineer||INR 48,00,000||Tech, entertainment, retail, trade companies|
|Data architect||INR 60,00,000||Healthcare, education, or other private or public sectors|
|Machine learning engineer||INR 43,00,000||Global tech or service based organisations|
Masters in data science is one of the most popular courses of study for students with a bachelor’s degree in a similar field of education. With hundreds of schools offering a degree in data science, Germany is one of the best in terms of quality and job prospects. It is the best country to go to for people who want to study masters in data science.