According to Canada’s government, pharmacists are one of the 29 high-demand occupations in Canada. With the shortage of skilled pharmacists, the need for postgraduates in pharmacy is on the rise. Masters in pharmacy in Canada is a two-year program that studies chemicals and biological systems to gain formulations for therapeutic drugs. Academic research, vocational training, and professional pharmacy skills are combined together in a pharmacy degree. The MS Pharmacy is a postgraduate degree you need to get to be a pharmacist
In this article, let us look at:
- Key Features for Pursuing Masters in Pharmacy in Canada
- Top Universities
- Admissions & Eligibility
- Cost for Pursuing Masters in Pharmacy from Canadian Universities
- Scope of Masters in Pharmacy in Canada
1. Key Features for Pursuing Masters in Pharmacy in Canada
- Around 6 top Canadian universities, globally ranking within #600, offer a master’s in pharmacy.
- Higher education institutes in Canada offering pharmacy specialization are ranked among the top 250 global universities.
- Drug requirement for the aging Canadian population has risen, spiking the demands for postgraduates in pharmacy within pharmaceutical & biotech companies.
- Retail pharmacists take up the majority percentage of pharmacy students:
- 76% in New Brunswick
- 80% in Manitoba
- 89% in Newfoundland.
2. Top Universities
Following are some of the top-ranking Canadian Universities offer masters in pharmacy:
|Country Ranking||World Ranking||University||Program Fees/Year(USD)|
|#1||#18||University of Toronto||39,962|
|#6||#136||University of Alberta||12,670|
|#8||#201-250||University of Waterloo||11,300|
|#15||#351-400||University of Manitoba||19,658|
|#16||#401-500||University of Saskatchewan||10,096|
|#16||#501-600||Memorial University of Newfoundland||7,248|
3. Admissions & Eligibility
International applicants are required to submit additional documents and a study permit. They can apply online through the university’s specific application portal. The details of eligibility and admissions process for masters in pharmacy in Canada are as follows:
Eligibility for Masters in Pharmacy in Canada
- Completion of four-year bachelor’s in science in a relevant field.
- The minimum GPA requirements must be fulfilled.
- Standardized test scores, GRE, for masters applicants are not required.
University Specific Eligibility Criteria and Application Requirements
|University/College||GPA||CV/Resume||SOI/Personal Statement/SOP||LOR||IELTS (Score)||TOEFL (Score)|
|University of Toronto||77-79%||Required||Required||2||7.0||100|
|University of Alberta||78-81%||Required||Required||2||6.5||88|
|University of Waterloo||78%||Required||Not required||2||7.0||90|
|University of Manitoba||78-81%||Required||Required||2||6.5||86|
|University of Saskatchewan||70% (60% in the last two years of UG are also accepted for Indian applicants)||Required||Not required||2||6.5||86|
|MUN||75%||Not required||Not required||2||6.5||80|
Documents Required for Admission
Along with the application form, international applicants are required to submit additional supporting documents. Following are the documents that are required to be submitted:
1. Degree Certificates: Degree certificates of the applicants must be attached with the application.
2. Transcripts: Transcripts of the previous institutions attended by the applicant.
3. CV/Resume: An updated CV or resume must be submitted by the applicant.
4. Proof of Language Proficiency: Applicants should submit the test scores of IELTS/TOEFL.
5. Reference Letter: Applicants are required to submit letter of reference, it can be academic or professional.
6. Supporting Documents: Documents like statement of purpose, statement of interest, personal statement, etc must be submitted.
4. Cost for Pursuing Masters in Pharmacy from Canadian Universities
The cost that are incurred by international applicants are detailed below:
|Type of Expense||Cost (USD)|
|Program Application Fees||90-112*|
|Visa Application Fees||235**|
* Depends on the University
** 150 USD for a Canadian Study Permit and 85 USD is Biometric fees.
|University||Tuition Fee/year (USD) (approx)|
|University of Toronto||40,900|
|University of Alberta||6,500|
|University of Waterloo||11,300|
|University of Manitoba||4,300|
|University of Saskatchewan||5,060|
Cost of Living in Canada
|Type of Expense||Cost in USD/year|
|Books and Material||756-1510|
|Food and Beverage||3,000-4,000|
The cost of studying in Canada is relatively low from the USA or UK, but the rise in the tuition rate for international students is a barrier for brilliant students wanting to study in Canada. Below are some scholarships available to students studying masters in pharmacy in Canada:
|University of Toronto||Ontario Graduate ScholarshipOntario Trillium Scholarship||11,280/session20,000/session|
|University of Alberta||University of Alberta Thesis/Course-based Masters recruitment ScholarshipIzaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship||16,550 for first term only. (non-renewable scholarship)26,000/year|
|University of Waterloo||Ontario Graduate ScholarshipOntario Trillium Scholarship International Master’s Award of Excellence||11,280/session20,000/session 1,800/term|
|University of Manitoba||University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowship||10,500/year|
|University of Saskatchewan||University Dean’s Scholarship||13,500|
|MUN||School of Graduate Studies Fellowship||3000-9000/year|
6. Scope of Masters in Pharmacy in Canada
Postgraduates in pharmacy are offered great packages yearly . With a shortage of skilled pharmacists in small towns, the need for medical writers has increased. Some of the main data science jobs for people to start at are as follows:
|Job Prospect||Median Salary (USD/year)||Job Prospect||Median Salary (USD/year)|
|Regulatory Affairs Officer||43,388||Community Pharmacist||95,550|
|Hospital Pharmacist||64,453||Process Development Scientist||144,651|
|Medical Sales Representative||90,000||Pharmacy Practice Assistant||253,216|
Pharmacy postgraduates are absorbed in sectors like health & medicine, retail, biotechnology, etc. An average pay scale for entry-level pharmacy postgraduates is around 70,000 USD. The jobs related with research for new drugs and their interactions are available with universities, clinical research centers, and others. A new field of jobs has been introduced for postgraduates in pharmacy, medical writers or coders. All the Canadian universities offering masters in pharmacy in Canada are ranked globally among the best universities with graduate employability.