The IELTS writing test is a 60 minute duration module where candidates are required to write two tasks. The IELTS paper pattern in writing is designed to assess how well you write a response, appropriately structure your ideas and use a range of vocabulary and proper grammar. IELTS Writing topics cover a wide range of subjects organized under common topic and essay types. IELTS writing topics often use similar questions for their essays but change the wording of the essay questions.
Academic writing has two tasks. You are required to spend 20 minutes writing approximately 150 words to complete task 1 and 40 minutes to write 250 words for Task 2.
IELTS Writing topics-Task 1- You are required to describe the given graph, table, chart or diagram or summarize and explain the data and the stages of a process on how something works or describe an object or event.
Task 2- In the IELTS Writing task 2 topics will be given to write an essay in the form of an argument or respond from a point of view in a formal style.
The IELTS General Test format writing has two tasks. You are required to spend 20 minutes writing approximately 150 words to complete task 1 and 40 minutes to write 250 words for Task 2.
Task 1- You are required to write a letter requesting information or explaining the situation based on the given situation. The letter can be semi-formal, formal or maybe personal in style.
Task 2- In the IELTS writing task 2 topics will be given to write an essay in response to a point of view, argument or problem. This essay may be personal in style.
In this article, let us look at:
- IELTS Writing Topics
- IELTS General Writing Topics
- Latest IELTS Writing Topics
- IELTS Writing Task 2 latest topics
- IELTS Writing Task 2 latest topics Academic
- IELTS Writing topics with Answers
- Latest IELTS writing topics
1. IELTS Writing Topics
The IELTS Writing topics are divided into several categories. The topics have been reported by the students in the test. Writing topics for IELTS Academic and IELTS general writing topics are cumulatively mentioned below.
These are the recent IELTS writing topics which appeared in the exam paper.
- Some people think that formal education for children should start as early as possible. While others think that it should not start until 7 years of age. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- It is not necessary to travel to other places to learn about other people. We can learn just as much from books, films and the internet. Do you agree or disagree?
- Young people are leaving their homes from rural areas to study or work in the cities. What are the reasons? Do the advantages of this development outweigh its disadvantages?
- Some people argue that arts, such as paintings and music are a waste of money and the government should spend this money on other public services. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
- Nowadays it is common for people to get married and have children in their thirties rather than when they are younger. Do you agree or disagree that this trend will benefit society?
- Demand for gas and oil is increasing and o finding new sources in remote and untouched areas is a necessity. Do the advantages of this outweigh these disadvantages?
- Some people believe that after a child enters school their teachers will have more influence than their parents. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Overpopulation of urban areas has led to numerous problems. Identify one or two serious ones and suggest ways that governments and individuals can tackle these problems.
- In the past, lectures were used as a way of teaching a large number of students, but now with the technology for education, many people think there is no justification for attending lectures. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
2. IELTS General writing Topics
- Some people believe that hobbies need to be difficult to be enjoyable. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Some people believe that money is the best gift to be given for a teenager while others disagree. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
- Some people say it is a good idea for all employees to wear a uniform at work. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Some people believe that public libraries are not necessary whereas others believe that they are essential for people. To what extent do you agree with this statement?
3. Latest IELTS writing Topics
- Many people believe that we should protect all wild animals while others believe we should just protect some of them. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Some people believe that entertainers are paid too much and their impact on society is negative, while others disagree and believe that they deserve the money they make because of their positive effect on others. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- It is better for young people to get advice from older people than young people. Do you agree or disagree?
- Farming is the backbone of every country but nowadays many youngsters hesitate to enter in this profession. What can be done to avoid it?
- Prison is the common way in most countries to solve the problem of crime. However, a more effective solution is to provide people with a better education. Do you agree or disagree?
- Online shopping is significantly increasing. What effects does this have on the environment and the types of jobs required?
- Is it too expensive to look after and repair old buildings? This money should be spent on buildings instead. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
4. IELTS writing Task 2 latest topics
- Many people are copying famous celebrities from magazines and TV. Why is this happening? Do you think it’s a good idea to copy celebrities?
- Subjects like arts, music and drama are more important than other school subjects and therefore should be given more time in the calendar. Do you agree or disagree?
- Some people believe that the whole family bringing up children is better than only parents. What is your opinion?
- Some people say now there is less communication between family members than in the past. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Young couples nowadays prefer to have fewer children than previous generations. Most of them prefer to accomplish other goals in their life first. Is this a positive or negative development?
- Tourism is causing environmental problems all around the world. What are the main causes of this? What are the solutions?
- Some people think that children should be involved in making school rules. Others think that only adults can make school rules. Discuss both points of view and give your own opinion.
- Many people today prefer to watch films or TV shows alone at home instead of watching with other people. What are the disadvantages and advantages of this development?
- Sports should be made mandatory for all children as it helps in physical health. Do you agree or disagree?
5. IELTS writing Task 2 latest topics Academic
- International tourism has brought enormous benefits to many places. At the same time, there is concern about its impact on local inhabitants and the environment. Do the advantages of international tourism outweigh the advantages?
- Children who are brought up in families that do not have large amounts of money are better prepared to deal with the problems of adult life than children brought up by wealthy parents. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
- Tourism has increased so much over the last 50 years that it is having a mainly negative impact on local inhabitants and the environment. However, others claim that it is good for the economy. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of tourism and give your own opinion.
- Overpopulation is the world’s most serious environmental problem. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
- Students are becoming more and more reliant on the internet. While the internet is convenient, it has many negative effects and its use for educational purposes should be restricted. How far do you agree with this statement?
- New technologies and ways of buying and selling are transforming the lives of consumers. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
- Some people believe that a person’s culture is defined by their country of origin, while others believe that has only a minor influence. Discuss both these views and give your opinion.
6. IELTS Writing topics with Answers
- Many people believe that zoos have no purpose in today’s world and should be closed. What problems do zoos bring? What re the alternatives to zoos if they are closed?
Ans: The presence of zoos in our cities and towns has been questioned a lot recently, and opinions differ about whether they provide benefits to people and animals, or whether they should be closed. Initially, we need to think about the negative issues with zoos. Many people believe it is wrong to take animals out of their natural environment and put them into cages. They believe that this is cruel and is only done to attract visitors and make money. In addition, many people feel that we should not interfere with nature, and if possible, animals should be allowed to stay in their own environment. In terms of alternatives, there are a few options that we have. Wildlife parks are becoming more popular in today’s world. These provide more space for animals to wander around and they provide a habitat which is more similar to animals’ natural homes. A more permanent solution which would enable us all to see animals in the wild would be for airlines to reduce their ticket prices. If air travel were cheaper, then we would all be able to see wild animals in their natural habitat and there would be no need for zoos in our cities. We should also promote channels on TV such as National Geographic. Here, people can see wildlife as it should be seen. As we can see, zoos are not the only way for humans to see and learn about wild animals. If there were no zoos, it would still be possible for scientists and ordinary people to preserve and experience nature.
- Many people believe that modern music can have a negative impact on the young. Others believe the effect of modern music is positive. Discuss both these views and give your opinion.
Ans: Music has changed dramatically over the years and new types of music are constantly appearing. Many people feel that current popular styles, such as rap, are just noise and cannot be considered real music, unlike older styles, such as rock and jazz. Firstly, many people, especially those from older generations, feel that modern types of music can be more harmful than positive. They will say modern music is too simplistic and the song lyrics are potentially dangerous. They feel that rap and hip-hop often deal with dangerous issues such as gang violence or express antisocial views. It is a common opinion that this can be damaging for young people who listen to these songs. On the other hand, it is important that people are able to listen to the types of music that they prefer; you cannot control people’s tastes or opinions. For young people especially, popular music is an important aspect of identity, sharing an interest in music with their peers brings a sense of stability and belonging. These young people would argue that the lyrics to these songs reflect modern reality and it is an important way of expressing their experiences. In conclusion, people will always prefer a certain type of music. People will always be unsure of new things, which they may not understand, and this can be the case with music. However, we cannot stop change and we should not try to, instead, we should encourage new styles of music as all music adds to the wealth of our culture.
- In the past, most people used to travel to their place of work. With increased use of computers, the internet and smartphones, more and more people are starting to work from home. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this development?
Ans: The way in which we work has changed a great deal in recent years. Whilst some people still travel to their place of work each day, others have the option to work from home. This has all become possible since the birth of the internet and smartphones, which enable workers to be in constant contact with their colleagues and clients all over the world. There are both advantages and disadvantages to this new development. There are definite advantages to people being allowed to work from home. The main advantage is that it gives workers more flexibility in their working lives. This can be particularly useful for parents or people who live far from their workplace. Working from home is also more comfortable – you can take a break whenever you need. Another advantage is that you have the possibility to work for companies in other countries through the use of the internet. Therefore, people can apply for jobs globally as well as locally. On the other hand, working from home can also have its disadvantages. Travelling to work and working in an office with others can be a very sociable activity which many people enjoy, especially if they live on their own. Without this social interaction many people might feel very lonely. Furthermore, many people may lack sufficient discipline to complete the work they need to do without colleagues around. In conclusion, therefore, there are clearly advantages and disadvantages to working from home. Perhaps the ideal arrangement would be to spend part of the working week in an office with colleagues, and part of the working week at home, with a certain amount of flexibility and comfort.
7. Latest IELTS writing topics
- Some people think that children under 18 years old should receive full-time education. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Some people today prefer to get advice for medical problems and do not want to visit a doctor. Why is this?
- Traditional ideas from older people about the way to live and behave are not helpful to young people and their futures. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Large companies should pay higher salaries to CEO’s and executives compared to other workers. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Many people put their personal information online (address, telephone number and so on) for purposes such as signing up for social networks or online banking. Is this a positive or negative development?
Practicing these questions and other study materials online will enhance your writing skills along with grammar and vocabulary. Practice well to score well!