An MBA is a masters degree that stands for masters in business administration. PGDM is a 2 year diploma programme offered by autonomous B-Schools recognized by AICTE which focuses on providing practical knowledge of management. Originally the program was created for people who wanted to specialize in a particular business area . The program has also evolved to include management as a whole. The dilemma of MBA vs PPDM has always been an issue to students and scholars. It can sometimes be a problem for people trying to find a job.
In this article, let us look at:
- MBA vs PGDM: What do they mean?
- What does a PGDM mean?
- MBA vs PGDM: Key Differences
- Top Colleges Offering MBA and PGDM
1. MBA vs PGDM: What do they mean?
One of the major differences while comparing MBA vs PGDM is that MBA or Master of Business Administration is a degree course that can only be offered by the colleges affiliated to universities, whereas PGDM or Post Graduate Diploma in Management is a diploma course offered by autonomous institutes.
2. What does a PGDM mean?
A PGDM is a post-graduate diploma in management awarded after 3 years of full-time study and 2 years of work experience. Students may be admitted to the program only if they have completed their undergraduate degree or higher level degree. What does an MBA mean? An MBA is a graduate degree that typically requires 2 years to complete. MBA stands for Master of Business Administration and teaches students about many business topics such as finance, accounting, marketing, statistics, law and economics.
3. MBA vs PGDM: Key Differences
A clear evaluation of the similarities and differences between MBA vs PGDM is important for determining which degree would best fit you. So, based on the data given here are reasons why you should choose an MBA over a PGDM degree.
1. Eligibility: For MBA, a full-time graduate degree of at least 3 years duration. However, on a broad basis, 50% is the accepted percentage level. For PGDM, candidate appearing in the final year of bachelor’s degree/equivalent qualification is eligible for the admission, provided he/she can produce a letter from their college’:s head confirming about their present status as claimed.
2. Entrance Exams: CAT, MAT, GMAT, IIFT, SNAP, IRMASAT, XAT, CMAT, NMAT, etc.
3. Quaification: For MBA , qualification is any Degree course and qualification for PGDm is any Diploma course.
4. Course Structure and Approach: MBA involves courses which are theoretical based and uniform across institutes affiliated to a university. It is mostly semester-based system. PGDM involvs courses which are Industry oriented program focused more on building soft skills. It is mostly trimester-based system.
4. Top Colleges Offering MBA and PGDM
Top colleges offering MBA are as follows;
- IIM Ahmedabad
- IIM Bangalore
- IIM Calcutta
- IIM Indore
- FMS Delhi
- IIFT Delhi
- IIT Kharagpur
- DoMS IIT Delhi
- SIBM Pune
- NMIMS School of Business
Top colleges offering PGDM are as follows;
- XLRI Xavier School of Management
- SPJIMR Mumbai
- NMIMS School of Business Management
- IMT Ghaziabad
- IMI Delhi – International Management Institute
- TAPMI Manipal – T A Pai Management Institute
- Great Lakes Institute of Management
- IIM Ranchi
- XIME, Banglore
In this article, we told you about the similarities and differences between MBA and PGDM courses. Despite several differences between both the courses – MBA and PGDM, the major influencing factor is the institute providing them. Recruiters usually determine the diploma level by the skills possessed by the student and the degree of the college. Although, PGDM courses certainly have a lot of emphasis on honing the skill set . MBA course colleges focus more on management theory.