IELTS speaking is a face-face, informal discussion with an IELTS examiner. The IELTS speaking test is the same for both Academic and General IELTS. The IELTS Speaking tests your ability to communicate in English.
The test is divided into three parts. It is designed to test your pronunciation, grammar, fluency and vocabulary. These four will be your marking criteria.
In this article let us look at:
- IELTS Speaking Test Information
- IELTS Speaking Tips
- IELTS Speaking Exam Tricks
- IELTS Speaking Topics and Questions
- Practice IELTS Speaking Test
- More about Speaking- IELTS Tips and Tricks
- IELTS Speaking Strategies to follow for a better score
1. IELTS Speaking Test Information
The three parts of the IELTS Speaking test is explained below:
Part 1: You will be asked about your family, likes and dislikes. Introduction and identity check will be done.
Duration: 4-5 minutes
Part 2: You are required to talk about a given topic. The topic is given to you on a cue card. You will be give time to prepare on the topic presented.
Duration: 5-7 minutes
Part 3: The examiner will ask you a number of questions related to the topic you spoke in part 2.
Duration: 3-4 minutes
2. IELTS Speaking Tips
Here are the top 5 speaking tips to crack the IELTS.
- Speak some English daily- Talk in English rather than your native language. It improves your skills day by day.
- Ask the examiner questions if you don’t understand- You can ask a question if you don’t understand a word or phrase but you cannot ask them to explain an entire sentence.
- Do a 24-hour English warm up- Just like an athlete you should prep up with English a day before the test.
- Give full answers- Do not give just a single word as your answer. Try to extend the sentence.
- Correct your mistakes- By correcting your mistakes, you can show the examiner that you know the correct grammar and vocabulary.
3. IELTS Speaking Exam Tricks
There are few IELTS Speaking tricks which you can learn yourself at home while you practice for the speaking exam.
- Know what to expect
- Create a good first impression
- Pretend you are interested in the questions
- Extend your answers
You can add your style of answers. But always give your best in answering. The IELTS Speaking Tips and tricks are to be followed very strictly in order to achieve a high band score. It is always good to follow the IELTS speaking strategies of your own.
4. IELTS Speaking Topics and Questions
You will require a study partner in order to practice the IELTS Speaking Test General and Academic. The types of Questions which can be asked in the different parts of the test module are listed below:
Part 1 Sample Questions
Let us talk about your home town:
- What kind of a place is it?
- What is the interesting part of the town?
- Would you say it is a good place to live?
Let us move on to the place you live:
- What kind of accommodation do you live in?
- How long have you been living there?
- What is your favorite part of the house you live in?
Part 2 Sample Questions
Describe a piece of art you like.
You need to answer to these:
- What is the work of art about?
- When did you first see it?
- What do you know about it?
- Explain why you like it?
Part 3 Sample Questions
In extension to the part 2, the questions will be followed in this way:
- What kind of art do you enjoy?
- What are the traditional art forms in the country?
- What makes a good painting?
- Do you think children should study at an art school?
- How can children benefit from learning art?
5. Practice IELTS Speaking Test
You should practice IELTS Speaking by learning the exam tricks at home. You should get a study partner while preparing. You ask your study partner to ask the questions and prompt the speaking test session. It is always a good thing to have a partner to share your thoughts and views about the IELTS Speaking Topics.
You can practice more IELTS Speaking tests here.
6. More about Speaking- IELTS Tips and Tricks
As mentioned above there are few strategies which you have to prepare on your own. They are very important while practicing IELTS Speaking. Here are a few other IELTS Speaking tips and tricks along with strategies you should follow while practicing.
1) When you get an unfamiliar topic in part 2, do not panic. Try answering the question based on your real life experience instead of making a story.
2) Always follow the pattern below as it will be the best strategy to overcome an unfamiliar topic.
3) If you don’t understand a question, always ask them to repeat the question which is no wrong in it
4) Do not overdo asking to repeat, it seems abusive.
5) Do not skip any question as you may lose marks for not answering a question.
7. IELTS Speaking Strategies to follow for a better score
- Paraphrase the question
- Explain your view
- Give Examples
- Make Concessions
- Do not go off the topic
- Do not speak quietly
- Do not try to be a perfectionist
- Do not fake the accent
The IELTS Speaking IELTS Tips and Tricks along with the IELTS Strategies can be followed to score a high band. Speak as natural as possible at a natural speed and clear pronunciation, Grammar and vocabulary is taken care of by itself. The rest is assured!