Over 200 colleges for architecture in USA offer various programs at bachelor’s, masters and doctoral levels. The QS World University Ranking 2021 for architecture, 43 universities of the USA made it to the highest 250 architecture colleges within the world. Among them, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) is ranked 1st within the world. Harvard and University of California (Berkeley) were ranked at 5th and 7th respectively.
- According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for architects within the USA is predicted to extend by 1% from 2019 to 2029.
- This is slower than the national average but BIM model and technology are expected to extend architects productivity.
- Average pay of architects in US is 82,320 USD annually as per May 2020.
- California has the highest number of employment for architects within the USA within the year 2020.
Top Ranking Architecture Colleges in USA
Aspirants must make sure of the university rankings so as to urge the most effective outcomes during & after the completion of the course of architecture in USA. Here are the highest QS ranking Architecture Universities within the USA:
|University||QS Architecture Ranking 2021||Architecture Programs Offered|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)||1||1 Bachelors; 8 Masters; 3 Doctorates;|
|Harvard University||5||2 Bachelors; 2 Masters; 2 Doctorate|
|University of California, Berkeley||7||1 Bachelors; 3 Masters; 1 Doctorate|
|Columbia University||14||1 Bachelors; 3 Masters; 1 Doctorate|
|University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)||17||5 Bachelors; 7 Masters; 1 Doctorate|
Specialization and Degrees at Architecture Colleges in USA
There are many architecture universities in usa offering Architecture courses and specializations depending upon the type of the course. There are separate specializations for bachelors and masters. Here are the specializations offered in the best architecture colleges in usa:
|Architectural technology||Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT); Harvard University; Columbia University|
|Architectural engineering||Harvard University; Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)|
|Architectural design||Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT); Harvard University, Columbia University|
|Architectural History||Harvard University; Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)|
|Interior Architecture||Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT); Harvard University|
|Landscape Architecture||Harvard University; Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)|
|Urban Planning||Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT); Harvard University, Columbia University|
|Architectural Engineering||University of California Los Angeles; University of Cambridge; Harvard University; Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)|
|Urban design||University of California Los Angeles; Harvard University,|
Bachelors from Architecture in USA
BArch, BA, and BS are a number of the degrees available in architecture universities in usa. Some popular programs together with their duration and annual fees are listed below. Here are the list of architecture colleges in usa:
|B.A (Landscape Architecture)||University of California, Berkeley|
|B.A Arch.||Columbia University|
|B.SC Arch.||MIT, Cambridge|
|B.A Arch.||Princeton University|
|B.A Arch||Yale University|
Admission Eligibility for Bachelors in top architecture colleges in USA
Students who want to apply for bachelors in architecture in usa must ensure to possess these basic qualifications. Eligibility criteria may vary depending upon the university you’re applying:
- A strong academic record
- Letter of recommendation
- SAT Score: Average 400 for overall test
- ACT Score: Average score between 25 – 36
Admission Requirements for Bachelors from Architecture Colleges in USA
- Academic records, 10th & 12th grade qualifying certificate
- Proof of proficiency in English (e.g. TOEFL/IELTS)- Minimum score for TOEFL is 46 to 59 and IELTS is 6.5 or more
- A Statement of purpose
Cost of Pursuing Bachelors from Architecture schools in USA
In the USA, the common tuition fees for undergraduate architecture programs range between 42,000 USD to 59,000 USD every year. It should vary depending on the kind of university (public or private). However, scholarships for international students within the USA are plenty to support funding for his or her education.
Masters at Architecture Colleges in USA
Students who completed their undergraduate degree under any specialization of architecture can apply for masters in architecture in USA can try the below-mentioned master programs offered by the mentioned universities of USA, together with the fee structure & duration:
|Master of Architecture||Harvard University|
|M.SC Architecture||MIT Cambridge|
|M. Arch.||University of California, Berkeley|
|M. Arch.||Columbia University|
|Master of Architecture||Princeton University|
Eligibility for Masters in Architecture in USA Admission
All the applicants shall be accepted on the idea of regulations set by the best architecture colleges in usa for masters
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture of any field associated with designing
- English Proficiency test: IELTS, TOFEL, PTE
- Average GPA of 3.5 and above
- GRE accepted are between 310 to 315
- GMAT: 650 to 690 is nice, score of 700 or higher is great
- 2 to 3 Letters of recommendation
Admission Requirements for Masters in Architecture in USA
- Transcripts: during a sealed envelope, stamped and signed by the respective HOD/Principal
- Mark sheets: Mark sheets of previously attended institutions, attested by the HOD/Principal
- CV: An updated CV must be submitted and in line with the proper format. It must include the amount of research undertaken and/or work experience
- Statement of Purpose: SOP must be drafted well in time, should be submitted together with the applying. It must include details of the applicants, his/her goals and expectations from the course.
- Letters of Recommendation: a minimum of 2 to 3 LORs must be submitted. They will be submitted online or offline depending upon the mode of application submission.
- Financial Statement: financial statement less than 3 months old, showing sufficient funds for a minimum of one year of study must be submitted.
- Health Insurance: this can be required if an applicant is applying for admissions in US universities.
- Identity Proof: Passport for visa process.
Doctorate from Architecture Colleges in USA
The PhD in Architecture may be a research degree offering the chance for independent research under the supervision of a departmental member of staff. Applicants who meet the course requirements and whose research interests match those of an available member of the tutorial staff are accepted for the program.
Here are the architecture schools in usa offering a PhD Degree in Architecture in the USA:
|Harvard University||5 Years|
|University of California: Berkeley||4Years|
|Columbia University||5 Years|
|University of California: Los Angeles||4 Years|
Eligibility for PhD from Architecture Colleges in USA Admission
- Applicants must have appropriate academic credentials (a master’s degree or equivalent in architecture, engineering, environmental design, or, exceptionally, in a very related field).
- GRE score
- Official Transcripts issued by a previous school or college.
Admission Requirements for PhD from good architecture colleges in USA
- 2-3 Letters of advice from teachers or professors.
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- Proof of funds availability for 1 year of the schooling fee.
- A scan of your diploma (high school or Bachelor’s degree)
- A transcript/record of your previous courses, a scan of your passport.
- CV, Testing scores, Evidence of scholarship or funding.
Scholarships Available in Architecture Colleges in USA
Studying abroad can seem a bit difficult thanks to the finances required. However, there are various scholarships provided within the USA for international students to assist them. The scholarships available for Indian students in USA who wish to pursue a course from architecture colleges in USA are:
- Tata Scholarship for Cornell University
- Rotary International Ambassadorial Scholarships
- SelfScore International Student Scholarship
- Chevron Scholarship
- Westerns Union Foundations Global Scholarship Program
- Global Students Scholarship
- Asian women in Business
- Ivy Parker Memorial Scholarship
- RD Sethna Loan Scholarship
Scopes of Architecture in USA: Jobs & Salaries
An architect has very wide options for career growth in the private sector and as well in the government sector. After completing this course, you can join government organizations like:
- Public Works Department
- Nation Building Organization
- National Institute of Urban Affairs
- Hindustan Prefab Limited Archaeological Department
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
- Public Service Commission
- Urban Development Cooperation Ministry of Defense
- City Development Corporation
- Department of Railways Housing Boards
Here is the list of top jobs after graduating in architecture in usa mentioned below:
|Job Roles||Avg. Annual Salary (in USD)|
|Architectural Engineer||$47,635 to $130, 167|
|Architectural Historian||$43,105 to $86, 828|
|Art Director||$52,160 to $165,033|
|Interior Designer||$43,500 to $122,000|
|Landscape Architect||$40,710 to $114,354|
Mostly, architecture graduates mainly go for Architect jobs, where job roles include the responsibilities like design of construction, coordinating with construction processions, city planning, finalizing projects, construction of residential also as a billboard building, etc. except this, graduates will work as technologist, Land Developer and Structural Engineer also. Now that you just realize Architecture within the USA and what the career & job scopes are, now you’ll constructively conjure your mind for studying Architecture within the USA based upon the knowledge provided above.