Masters in Computer Science in Australia is a 1.5 to 2 year program with tuition fees ranging from 38,120 AUD to 91,709 AUD. Masters in Computer Science has the following eligibility: A Bachelor’s Degree or a Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or a relevant field, and foreign language proficiency. With good job opportunities after earning a Masters in Computer Science in Australia, they can get jobs and apply for PR directly on getting enough points. Australian universities have two intakes of the program: February and July.
In this article, let us look at:
- Why study Masters in Computer Science in Australia?
- Top Universities
- Admission & Eligibility
- Cost of Study
1. Why study Masters in Computer Science in Australia?
- Times Higher Education World University Ranking ranks 23 leading Australian Universities amongst the top 750 international universities for Computer Science programs.
- The top 5 Australian universities offering an MS in Computer Science are listed among the top 150 universities for computer science programs according to THE and QS World University Rankings.
- The top Australian universities, University of Melbourne and ANU offering the program have a high international student enrollment of 46% and 44%, respectively.
- Australian Computer Society (ACS) predicts there will be a greater demand for computer science graduates by 2024 owing to a shortage of 100,000 employees with 164,000 qualifications.
- The number of international students in the recent past pursuing Computer Science and Mathematics program in Australia was registered to be 24,000
- International students with a skilled graduate temporary visa can work from 18 months to 3 years after the completion of studies.
2. Top Universities
|THE World University Rankings||University||Program/Duration||Program Cost (AUD)|
|56||University of Melbourne||Master of Computer science(2 years)||91,709|
|69||Australian National University||Master of Computing(2 years)Master of Computing(Advanced)2 years||91,200|
|79||University of Technology, Sydney||Master of Science(research) in Computing Sciences(2 years)||71,760|
|96||University of Adelaide||Master of Computer Science (2 years)||84,000|
|101-125||The University of Queensland||Master of Computer Science(1.5 years)Master of Computer Science(1 year)||69,03445,120|
|201-250||Victoria University||MSc (research) computer science(2 years)||60,800|
|201-250||University of Wollongong||Master of Computer Science(2 years)||68,736|
|251-300||RMIT university||Master of Computer Science (1.5 years)||53,760|
|301-400||Curtin University||MSc Computer Science(2 years)||64,400|
|301-400||La Trobe University||Master of Computer Science(2 years)||79,200|
3. Admission & Eligibility
Intake sessions and Deadlines
The Australian Universities are open for applications twice a year- February & July. The two teaching semesters run from February to June and from July to November. The university recommends international students apply well in advance of the specified deadlines to allow enough time for the Australian visa process and secure admission to the program in the desired semester.
How to Apply
Prospective international students can apply to the universities in Australia for a masters program in Computer Science in one of the following ways:
- Complete the online application in University’s official website/application portal well in advance of the application deadlines
- Agents and representatives of the corresponding University to assist with the preparation and submission of the application to study as well as the student visa application.
International students should meet the following criteria to be eligible for the program.
- Minimum 15 years of education mandating a 10+2+3 breakup
- A 3-4 year bachelor’s degree in computer science, science, mathematics or other related fields.
- Work experience in a related field (recommended)
- Proof of English proficiency
University-Specific Eligibility Criteria
|University||UG Credential Equivalence||English Language Requirements|
|University of Melbourne||75% in bachelors with Maths/statistics subjects||IELTS:6.5TOEFL iBT:79+PTE:58+CAE:176|
|Australian National University||Minimum GPA – 5/7 (or) GPA – 4/7 with at least 3 years of work experience in the related field||IELTS: 6.5TOEFL iBT: 80PTE: 64CAE: 176|
|University of Technology, Sydney||Bachelors with major in computing||IELTS: 6.5TOEFL iBT: 79PTE: 58CAE:176|
|University of Adelaide||Strong foundation in Object-oriented programming||IELTS: 6.5TOEFL iBT: 79PTE: 58CAE: 176|
|The University of Queensland||GPA:5/7 in bachelors IT/CSc||IELTS:6.5TOEFL iBT:87PTE:64|
|Victoria University||Overall 70% average in all subjects of the final year||IELTS: 6.5TOEFL iBT: 79PTE: 58CAE:176|
|University of Wollongong||60% average||IELTS: 6.5TOEFL iBT: 86|
|RMIT University||GPA:2/4 or equivalent (or) Work experience of at least 5 years in the related field||IELTS:6.5TOEFL iBT:79PTE:58CAE:176|
|Curtin University||Bachelors in Science/honors/Postgraduate diploma||IELTS:6.5PTE:60CAE:176|
|La Trobe University||65% average||IELTS:6.5TOEFL iBT:79PTE:58CAE:176|
- Completed application form with the application fee.
- All academic transcripts including professional qualifications must be certified as a true copy of the original.
- Certified English translations all academic documents accredited by the university specified agencies.
- Proof of language proficiency in the form of tests required to study in Australia
- official ID including the birth certificate, Citizenship documents or the passport,
- Financial affidavits as proof of funding
- 2-3 letters of recommendation & Updated CV (if required)
4. Cost of Study
Some of your pre-arrival expenses have been tabulated below:
|Application Fee||50 – 100(university dependent)|
|University||Annual Tuition Fees (in AUD)|
|University of Melbourne||44736|
|Australian National University||45600|
|University of Technology, Sydney||35880|
|University of Adelaide||42000|
|The University of Queensland||45120|
|University of Wollongong||34368|
|La Trobe University||39600|
Cost of Living
|Accommodation Type||Monthly cost (AUD)|
|Hotels & guesthouse||360 – 600|
|Shared Rental||380 – 860|
|On-campus||440 – 1120|
|Homestay||940 – 1300|
|Rental||740 – 1760|
|Boarding Schools||1000 – 1800|
The table enlists the financial-aid offered to international students in Australia pursuing the master’s program in Computer Science:
|University of Melbourne||Student Enrichment Grants||No separate applications necessary and based on academic merit|
|Jack Wynhoven Scholarship||No separate applications necessary and based on academic merit|
|ANU (Eng. & Comp.science)||International Postgraduate Excellence Scholarship||50% tuition waiver for 1 year|
|International Postgraduate Merit Scholarship||25% tuition waiver for 1 year|
|UTS||UTS President Scholarship||Living allowance: 28,092 AUD/year for 2 years|
|University of Adelaide||Global Citizens Scholarship||15% to 30% tuition fee waiver for 2 years|
|International scholarship||5 to 10% tuition fee waiver for 2 years|
|Queensland University of Technology||UQ Future Students Postgraduate scholarship for High Achievers-India||10,000 AUD tuition fee waiver for 1 year|
|Schwarzman scholars||Full tuition fees|
|Victoria University||VU International Excellence Scholarship||3000 AUD for the first two study periods & 6000 AUD towards tuition fee|
|University of Wollongong||Postgraduate Academic Excellence Scholarship||30% tuition fee waiver|
|India Bursary||Up to 20% tuition fee waiver|
|RMIT University||Future leaders Scholarship||20% tuition fee waiver for program duration|
|Curtin University||Merit Scholarship||25% first-year tuition fee waiver|
|La Trobe University||Excellence Scholarship||Up to 25% tuition fee waiver|
With the demand for Computer Science and IT professionals growing worldwide day-by-day the career opportunities for graduates with a master’s in Computer Science is vast and financially rewarding. The following table compares the average annual salary for potential designations in the field of computer science:
|Job Profile||Average Annual Salary|
|Software and applications programmers||84,000|
|Senior program developer||114,000|
|Senior Database Administrator||105,000|
|Digital Marketing Manager||109,000|
The boom of the digital age has also made people need jobs. The number of software & applications programmers, computer network professionals, managers, database administrators, and system analysts grew very strongly in the last 5 years and will do so in the next 5 years. Hence, international students usually study Computer Science in Australia because it has broad grounding across the breadth of advanced computer science.