The Masters in business analytics in Germany is a 1 to 3 years program offered by more than 10 universities in Germany. It teaches scientific methods for analyzing and optimizing complex relationships in economics and management processes. A bachelor’s degree in computer science, business informatics, data science or any related field is needed to apply for this program.
In this article, let us look at:
- Why Study Masters in Business Analytics in Germany?
- Popular Universities
- Masters in Business Analytics in Germany: What It Is About
- Admissions Process
- Cost of Study
1. Why Study Masters in Business Analytics in Germany?
The number of international students coming to study in Germany is increasing . It is estimated that an average growth of 7% to 8% of international students in Germany every year. Students like to study MS in Business Analytics in Germany because of these reasons:
- Business Analysts with less than 1 year of experience can earn up to 44,000 EUR per annum which increases up to 60,000 EUR with 10 – 19 years of experience.
- In Germany, the immigration policies allow international graduates with a German university degree to obtain Job Seeker Visa and a German residence
- Both permits are valid for 18 months and thus gives enough time to students to look for a job.
- Big companies like SAP SE, Shell, Efficio, Microchip Technology, etc hire Business Analysts in Germany.
- Most public universities offering Masters in Business Analytics in Germany do not charge any amount for tuition.
2. Popular Universities
|University||Program Offered||Total Program Fee (in EUR)|
|University of Technology, Chemnitz||MS in Business Intelligence & Business Analytics: 2 years||Free|
|SRH University, Heidelberg||MS in Big Data and Business Analytics: 2 years||18,960|
|Neu-Ulm University of Applied Sciences||MS in Business Intelligence and Business Analytics: 1.5 years||Free|
|Otto Von Guericke University||MS in Operations Research and Business Analytics: 2 years||Free|
|Stuttgart Media University (Hochschule der Medien)||MS in Data Science and Business Analytics: 2.6 years||21,000|
|Gisma Business School, Berlin||MS in Business Intelligence and Analytics: 1 year||16,000|
|ESCP Europe Business School, Berlin||MS in Big Data and Business Analytics: 1 year||20,000|
3. Masters in Business Analytics in Germany: What It Is About
MS in Business Analytics in Germany is offered with several specializations . They are business intelligence, big data management, data analytics, data engineering, business informatics, and data science.
After a four-month internship and a research project, students are required to give a report at the end of this course . Students must write and present a final paper to do this. Masters are mostly made of core modules and three basic parts spread across the study period. The segments are:
- Data Science: Introduction to data mining & machine learning, data quality & visualization, big data, NoSQL & Watson analytics, and design thinking.
- Business Analytics: Business process analysis & data modelling, data-driven business strategy, analytical modelling, information systems management and managerial decision making & modelling.
- Analytical Applications: Accounting basics & financial reporting, financial analytics, management & consumer insights (marketing) analytics, enterprise systems improvement (SAP, IoT, etc.), digital manufacturing and supply chain and, digital entrepreneurship and innovation.
Some of the core modules include:
- Data discovery visualization
- Data-Driven decision making
- Predictive analytics
- Research methods, professional development, and dissertation/project
There are also electives to choose from such as emerging technologies, blockchain, FinTech & procurement and SCM.
4. Admissions Process
Where to apply: Interested students are required to visit the university’s website and apply through the application webpage. However, international students can apply in some German universities through uni-assist portal.
- Bachelor’s degree in subjects such as business, finance, computer science, marketing, management, or any similar field
- Relevant work experience or internship
- Proof of English proficiency (IELTS or TOEFL test scores)
Documents Required for Admission
- Officially attested proof of successfully completed university entrance examination
- Curriculum Vitae with photo
- Letter or references (number of reference letters may differ per university)
- Internship report.
- Certificate of a language test
- Officially attested copies as a proof of successful completion of bachelor’s degree at the home country with translation in German or English language
- Transcripts showing full details of subjects and grades offered in the previous institutions
- A copy of the passport or photo page of the passport.
- Essay or statement of purpose (if required)
Proof of English Proficiency for International Students
|University||Minimum TOEFL (iBT) Score||Minimum IELTS Score|
|University of Technology, Chemnitz||72||5.5|
|SRH University, Heidelberg||80||6.5|
|Neu-Ulm University of Applied Sciences||90||6.5|
|Otto Von Guericke University||108||7.0|
|Gisma Business School, Berlin||NA||6.5|
Following certificates are accepted as proof of German language proficiency:
- TestDaF 4 (minimum of 16 points, with at least 4 points in every sub-category)
- Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH), at least level 2
- telc C1 Hochschule
- Das Deutsche Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz, level 2 (DSD II)
Applicants are encouraged to submit the completed application to uni-assist as early as possible as it will be evaluated by uni-assist before being assessed by the university. The admission decision for all the universities listed above are mostly released within three to nine weeks on an average.
5. Cost of Study
|Type of Expense||Amount (EUR)|
|Program Application Fee||75 to 130 (free in some cases)|
|German Student Visa Application Fee||75|
|Health Insurance||1,236 – 1,341 per annum|
|IELTS fee||229 – 233|
|Airfare||250 – 600|
Most of the public universities of Germany do not charge any tuition fee. Annual fees of some of the universities is provided below:
- SRH University, Heidelberg: 9,480 EUR
- Stuttgart Media University: 8,400 EUR
- Gisma Business School: 16,000 EUR
- ESCP Europe Business School: 20,000 EUR
Cost of Living in Germany
|Type of Expenses||Amount per year (in EUR)|
|Hostel and Guesthouse||9,000 – 15,000|
|Share Rentals||3,120 – 5,520|
|On-Campus||4,500 – 6,444|
|Homestay||3,000 – 4,800|
|Groceries and Eating Out||3,000 – 3528|
|Public Transport||528 – 720|
|Entertainment||2,000 – 2,280|
Following table exhibits the minimum and maximum cost of accommodation for students in Germany:
|Accommodation in Germany||Average Annual Cost (in EUR)|
|Hotel & Guesthouse||9,000 – 15,000|
|Shared Rentals||3,120 – 5,510|
|On Campus||4,500 – 6,444|
|Home Stay||3,000 – 4.800|
|Scholarship||Amount Offered (EUR)||University|
|German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD); Scholarship program STIBET I||Varies||University of Technology, Chemnitz|
|Deutschland Stipendium||300 per month for at least two semesters||SRH University, Heidelberg|
|Scholarships for International Students and Doctoral Students||250-300 per month for one semester||Neu-Ulm University of Applied Sciences|
|German Scholarship||300 per month for two semesters||Otto von Guericke University, Magdeburg|
|Deutschland Stipendium||300 per month for at least two semesters||Stuttgart Media University|
|Academic Merit Scholarship||Varies||Gisma Business School, Berlin|
|ESCP Foundation Scholarship||2,000 per annum||ESCP Europe Business School, Berlin|
MS in Business Analytics in Germany trains students to work almost at any place where data and business trends are analyzed and processed. This is due to the fact that businesses and organizations need business analysts whether they are profit organizations or not. Below are the jobs after studying business analytics in Germany:
|Jobs||Average Annual Salary (n EUR)|
|Big Data Analyst||61,000|
|Business System Analyst||41,132|
|Business Process Analyst||52,402|
|Functional Business Analyst||60,000|
|Reporting Business Analyst||47,000|
|Machine Learning Analyst||51,373|
|Data Business Analyst||44,867|
|SAP Business Analyst||68,314|
There is a growing need for business analytics in Germany, especially in Berlin which is one of Europe’s largest cities because of the emergence of new start-ups and advanced technologies.
Moreover, a master’s in business analytics gives students the opportunity to go further into areas of Information Technology, Data Science, Business Intelligence and Management. Program fee of universities offering masters in business analytics in Germany ranges from 16,000 to 21,000 EUR depending on the university. A business analyst can earn up to 49,765 EUR per annum in Germany.